I have done regular yoga and hot yoga before, but I did not like it.
I don’t know. I rather attend cardio classes to have a good sweat than participate yoga classes to do stretches on my yoga mat for the whole class.
Therefore, I did some research on people’s reasons to practice yoga and I found interesting ones. Here are some:
1) Have Better Sex – According to research in The Journal of Sexual Medicine, sexually dissatisfied women who took up yoga and practiced mindfulness techniques reported higher levels of arousal and desire, and better orgasms. Also, Yogi Cameron, a Iranian yoga and Ayurveda therapist, said strengthened concentration skills in yoga help men focus their minds and better channel their sexual energy, thus helping to prevent premature ejaculation. WOW! No wonder a lot of people do yoga!
2) Lululemon – Some people practice yoga as a reason to buy Lululemon gears. I don’t mean to offend any Lululemon fans, but I think Lululemon’s clothes are VERY EXPENSIVE.
3) I Am Able To Lose Weight Without Sweating – I am not too sure how yoga helps people keep off the pounds, but yoga develops mental strength, which is crucial for losing weight.
4) I Get To Meet New People – I totally agree you can meet like-minded people in group exercises. But if you are practicing yoga just to meet new people, but not for your personal health, you are doing yoga for the wrong reason.
5) Detoxification – Again! I am not too sure how yoga moves toxins out of our organs, at least in the scientific standpoint. Basically, detoxification means cleaning the blood. This is done by removing impurities from the blood in the liver, where toxins are processed for elimination. The body also eliminates toxins through the kidneys, intestines, lungs, lymph and skin. Therefore, any exercises that increase your circulation and make you sweat are able to help detoxify your body.
Don’t get me wrong. I don’t hate yoga with a passion. In fact, I incorporate yoga moves to my warm-up before my exercise sessions because yoga gets me flexible, which prevents workout injuries. I just prefer cardio exercises and I know cardio exercises are right for me. I also believe people should be engaged in workout that are right for them, not the ones their friends do.
Do you like practicing yoga? How long have you been doing yoga? What is your favourite pose? Post your comments below. Till next time!