So far the dishes introduced in “Easy Healthy Recipe Wednesday and Thursday” are very humble.
Today, I have decided to kick-it-up-a-notch by making a lunch salad dish that is inspired by salad dishes served in fine dining establishments, yet it is affordable and easy to make at home. I thought this would be interesting.
Remember, for every lunch dish that are introduced in “Easy Healthy Recipe Wednesday and Thursday”, we aim for $3 CAN per serving maximum. Here is the recipe and cost of ingredients:
1.5 cups frozen mixed greens ($1.05 CAN)
1 cup spinach, stems are cut ($0.50 CAN)
1 egg ($0.33 CAN)
4 tablespoons lemon juice ($0.50 CAN)
zests of 1 lemon ($0.00 CAN)
1 garlic clove, minced ($0.06 CAN)
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil ($0.05 CAN)
1 tablespoon white vinegar ($0.05 CAN)
salt and pepper to taste ($0.05 CAN)
1) Boil water over high heat. Prepare a cold bath. Cook frozen mixed greens until warm. Set mixed green aside in cold bath.
2) Make dressing by mixing lemon juice, lemon zests, extra virgin olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Set aside.
3) Mix spinach with one-third of the dressing. Make sure dressing completely coats with the leaves. Set aside.
4) Pull mixed greens from the cold bath. Mix mixed greens with one-third of the dressing. Make sure dressing completely coats with the greens. Set aside.
5) Boil pot of water over high heat. Turn off heat when water boils. Pour white vinegar to water and start stirring. Drop egg into vinegared water gently until egg is poached.
6) Layer mixed green at the bottom. Then spinach in the middle and poached egg on top. Drizzle rest of the dressing to the dish. Serve when ready.
Oh man! This salad was very delicious. The dressing was very lemony but not too overpowering. Also, the yolk gave a creamy texture to the salad because the yolk pretty much coated all the veggies.
However, I wish I got to use fresh mixed greens because salad is always best with fresh ingredients. But fresh mixed greens is just too expensive.
Ultimately, this dish costs $2.59 CAN per serving. IT IS TIME TO SHOP AT MY LOCAL SUPERMARKET!!!
Do you like to add poached egg to your favourite salad? Post your comments below. Till next time!
P.S. The prices were as of Monday, May 12, 2014 at No Frills.