I have decided to make a steak dish because I have not introduced one on “Easy Healthy Recipe Wednesday and Thursday”. Also, steak is good for us because steak contains iron. Iron acts as a carrier of oxygen that helps transfer oxygen from one body cell to another.
I also use sweet potato instead of regular potato because sweet potato provides more than 400% of the daily requirements of Vitamin A. Sweet potato also has more vitamin C and fiber and less calories and carbohydrates than white potato.
As a result, this dish is a very healthy dinner everyone loves!
Remember, for every dinner dish that are introduced in “Easy Healthy Recipe Wednesday and Thursday”, we aim for $5 CAN per serving maximum. Here is the recipe and cost of ingredients:
1 eye round steak ($2.25 CAN)
1 cup frozen mixed greens ($1.05 CAN)
1 small sweet potato ($0.59 CAN)
5 green onions, chopped ($0.90 CAN)
1 clove of garlic, minced ($0.06 CAN)
0.5 tablespoon orange juice ($0.10 CAN)
zest of half of the orange ($0.00 CAN)
0.5 teaspoon cinnamon ($0.01 CAN)
8 tablespoons soy sauce ($0.01 CAN)
1 tablespoon olive oil ($0.01 CAN)
1 tablespoon sugar ($0.01 CAN)
salt and pepper for taste ($0.01 CAN)
1) Cut sweet potato in chucks and cook them in boiling water until soften. Set aside.
2) Heat up a pan over high heat. Put salt, pepper and olive oil on the steak. Place steak on pan when hot and sear both sides of the steak until steak reaches the temperate you desire. Set aside when steak is cooked.
3) On the same pan that steak is cooked, cook garlic until soften. Add soy sauce, green onions and sugar to the pan and cook until sauce is hot. Set aside.
4) Boil pot of water over high heat. Cook frozen mixed greens until mixed greens are cooked. Set aside.
5) Use a potato masher to mash the sweet potatoes. Mixed mashed potatoes with orange juice, orange zest, cinnamon, salt and pepper. Set aside.
6) Plate all of the cooked components nicely. Pour sauce on sweet potato, steak and mixed greens. Serve when ready.
I finished the whole plate and I WAS FULL.
Although eye round steak is not the best cut, the steak is still delicious if you cook it up to medium. Therefore, if you like your steak medium-well to well-done, I suggest you to buy another steak cut but it may be expensive.
Ultimately, this dish costs $4.99 CAN per serving. NOT BAD FOR A STEAK DISH EH?
How often do you cook steak at home? What is your favourite cut? Post your comments below. Till next time!
P.S. The prices were as of Tuesday, May 13, 2014 at No Frills.