If you like burritos and you want to try another lunch recipe, this is a perfect one for you.
This recipe is also affordable and easy-to-make.
Remember, for every lunch dish that are introduced in “Easy Healthy Recipe Wednesday and Thursday”, we aim for $3 CAN per serving maximum. Here is the recipe and cost of ingredients:
1 cup boneless chicken breast, diced ($4.16 CAN)
1/2 red pepper, diced ($0.98 CAN)
1/2 onion, diced ($0.32 CAN)
2 gloves garlic, minced ($0.11 CAN)
1/2 tomato, diced ($0.27 CAN)
10 whole wheat tortillas ($2.69 CAN)
1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded ($1.00 CAN)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil ($0.10 CAN)
2 tablespoons Greek yogurt ($0.50 CAN)
1 strawberry, hulled and diced ($0.31 CAN)
salt and pepper to taste ($0.05 CAN)
1) Heat pan over medium-high heat. Cook garlic and onion until soften.
2) Add and cook chicken and tomato for about 2 minutes.
3) When chicken is about 50% cooked, add red pepper to pan and cook until chicken is close to fully cooked. Set aside.
4) Heat oven at 350F. Place chicken mixture onto centre of tortilla. Add mozzarella cheese on top of mixture. Fold tortilla into the shape of a burrito. Place burritos on baking pan with remaining cheese spreading on top of burritos. Bake burritos for about 10 minutes or until cheese melts.
5) Serve burritos with strawberries and Greek yogurt when ready.
I was not able to fold the tortillas into the shapes of burrito because the tortillas were kinda hard, but I tried my best.
Also, I found Greek yogurt is a great substitute for sour cream. Greek yogurt happens to have similar taste with sour cream but with different mouth feel. Greek yogurt also is healthier than sour cream!
Ultimately, this dish costs $10.49 CAN in total, which is about $2.10 per serving. This is much cheaper than buying two chicken snack wraps at McDonald’s.
Do you want to share your favourite burrito recipe? Post your comments below. Till next time!
P.S. The prices were as of Tuesday, May 20, 2014 at No Frills.