I am going to try make some dishes using hummus because it has become one of the popular dips out there.
Therefore, I made a salad dish with hummus that would be great for lunch.
Remember, for every lunch dish that are introduced in “Easy Healthy Recipe Wednesday and Thursday”, we aim for $3 CAN per serving maximum. Here is the recipe and cost of ingredients:
1 cup mixed greens ($0.76 CAN)
1 cup fusilli ($0.24 CAN)
2 cloves garlic ($0.22 CAN)
1/2 can chickpeas, drained and separated juice ($0.75 CAN)
2 teaspoons sesame paste ($0.20 CAN)
salt to taste ($0.02 CAN)
juice of 1 lemon ($0.50 CAN)
1 tablespoon juice from can of chickpeas ($0.00 CAN)
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar ($0.02 CAN)
1 tablespoon soy sauce ($0.10 CAN)
1 green onion, chopped ($0.16 CAN)
1 teaspoon black sesame seeds, toasted ($0.10 CAN)
1 teaspoon olive oil ($0.01 CAN)
1) Boil water over high heat. Put olive oil and salt in boiling water and cook fusilli until al dente. Set aside.
2) Put chickpeas, chickpea juice, salt, lemon juice, garlic and sesame paste in blender. Blend until smooth. Set aside.
3) Mix soy sauce, red wine vinegar and hummus together in a bowl. Set aside.
4) Mix mixed greens, fusilli and hummus dressing together in a bowl. Set aside.
5) Plate salad on a plate. Sprinkle black sesame seeds and green onions onto salad. Serve when ready.
You can always buy hummus from your local grocery store, but I have decided to make my own because it just tastes better.
I couldn’t describe to you how delicious this salad is because everything was just so FRESH.
Ultimately, this dish costs $2.92 CAN per serving. FABULOUS!
Do you want to share your homemade hummus recipe? Post your comments below. Till next time!
P.S. The prices were as of Tuesday, May 27, 2014 at No Frills.