I made some extra hummus for the recipe yesterday. Since hummus is no longer fresh if it is kept in the refrigerator for too long, I figure I would use it for this dish.
I am preparing this dish for dinner with my family.
Remember, for every dinner dish that are introduced in “Easy Healthy Recipe Wednesday and Thursday”, we aim for $5 CAN per serving maximum. Here is the recipe and cost of ingredients:
2 cups boneless chicken thighs, chopped ($4.98 CAN)
1 1/2 cups brown rice mix, cooked ($2.00 CAN)
1/2 onion, julienned ($1.06 CAN)
1 tomato, chopped ($0.64 CAN)
1/2 cucumber, cubed ($0.90 CAN)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil ($0.01 CAN)
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil ($0.10 CAN)
1/4 cup hummus ($1.70 CAN)
1 green onion, chopped ($0.16 CAN)
salt and pepper to taste ($0.05 CAN)
1) Heat up a pan over medium heat. Saute onions until soften.
2) Stir in chicken when onions soften.
3) When chicken is halfway cooked, stir in tomato and cucumber until everything is hot.
4) Layer cooked chicken mix on the bottom layer of casserole bowl, then brown rice mix, then cooked chicken mix again and brown rice mix. Spread hummus onto the top layer. Sprinkle olive oil on hummus and bake in the oven until everything is hot.
5) Sprinkle green onions on top. Serve when ready.
Oh man! This dish was YUMMY! You have the sourness from the hummus and the savory from the chicken. There are lots of flavours in this dish.
Ultimately, this dish costs $11.60 CAN in total, which is about $2.90 CAN per serving. WONDERFUL!
Do you want to share your favourite homemade casserole recipe? Post your comments below. Till next time!
P.S. The prices were as of Tuesday, May 27, 2014 at No Frills.