I have tried to make Shephard’s Pie today because I want to try and learn different dishes from different countries.
I also want to make a vegetarian version by substituting ground beef or lamb by marinated tofu because I think the tofu has a meaty flavour.
You can find marinated tofu at any Asian supermarket. Marinated tofu are often vacuum-packed and are usually found with soft and hard tofu.
Last thing, please don’t judge me if you think you will hate this dish. Here was how I made it:
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 pack marinated tofu, cubed
1 red onion, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
3 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
2 cups water
1 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup Greek yogurt
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 teaspoon thyme
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1) Heat up a casserole pot over medium-high heat with olive oil. Cook onion until softens.
2) Cook celery and carrot until celery softens.
3) Cook tomato, thyme, marinated tofu for a few minutes. Pour water and boil mixture over high heat. When mixture starts boiling, bring down the heat to low heat and simmer for at least 20 minutes.
4) While the marinated tofu mixture is cooking, peel yam and cut into pieces. Boil a pot of water over high heat. Salt water when water boils and cook yam until tender.
5) Drain yam in a colander and return to pot. Add yogurt, thyme, butter, salt and pepper. Mash yam until smooth and creamy.
6) Preheat over to 325F. Spread the mash evenly over the top of the marinated tofu mixture and cook in the oven until golden or bubbling. Serve when ready.
The pie was delicious, but I thought I added too much liquid because the pie was very wet.
Also, I think I should put the tofu in the blender to give it more a meaty texture instead of cubing the tofu.
This dish would definitely great for vegetarians!