I love lasagna because it is very meaty and cheesy.
As a result, I want to create a healthy lasagna that is very meat. cheesy and carbohydrate-free.
In this recipe, I substitute lasagna papers with eggplants because slices of eggplant are almost the same size as lasagna papers.
I also thought eggplant would get softened easily when it is fully cooked. Let’s see how my test recipe went:
1/3 eggplant, sliced
1 pack ground veal
1 can crushed tomatoes
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon thyme
1/4 cup ricotta cheese
1/3 cup mozzarella cheese, in pieces
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1 tablespoon parsley, minced
salt and pepper to taste
1) Heat pan over medium-high heat. Cook veal until fully cooked.
2) Drain any excess fluid from the cooked veal. Heat up the same pan over medium-high heat. Cook garlic and veal until garlic aroma appears. Add crushed tomatoes, thyme, salt and pepper until mixture bubbles. Set aside.
3) Mix ricotta, 1/4 cup of mozzarella cheese, 1/8 cup of Parmesan cheese, parsley, egg, salt and pepper. Set aside.
4) Heat over at 325F. Spread meat sauce on the bottom of a casserole pot. Then layer slices of eggplant on top. Then top with meat sauce, ricotta mixture, meat sauce and eggplant. Sprinkle rest of mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese on top and bake in the oven for at least 30 minutes.
5) Let stand for at least 15 minutes after baking. Serve when ready.
Voila! Personally, I think the dish was tasty.
However, my parents thought the skin of the eggplant was too tough and the eggplant was not soft enough. Also, they thought there were too much meat sauce and there weren’t enough eggplant to suck up the liquid.
I guess next time I will peel the skin of the eggplant, slice eggplant into thin pieces and give the pieces a quick steam before layering them.
Do you agree with my parents? Please help me by making this recipe at home and tell me what you think.