I bought basil from my local farmer’s market last week and I was thinking of making pesto sauce.
But making JUST pesto sauce was just too boring, therefore I have decide to use the pesto sauce I make to be the filling of my ravioli.
This was my first time of making ravioli too. I hope my raviolis turned out well too.
Here is the recipe:
6 cloves garlic
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour, sifted
7 basil leaves
1/4 cup walnut, toasted
5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
half a can black beans
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
3 teaspoons Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste
1) Place flour on working space. Make a space within flour and crack two eggs into the space.
2) Gently whisk eggs with fingers and incorporate flour into eggs to form a dough. Knead dough until smooth. Place dough in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to allow dough to relax.
3) Place basil, garlic, extra virgin olive oil, half of black beans, walnuts, salt and pepper in blender and blend until smooth.
4) Mix rest of black beans with blended mixture. Set aside.
5) Pull dough out of the refrigerator. Use a rolling pin or pasta machine to roll dough into a thin sheet. The sheet should be thin enough to be able to see the outlines of your hand through the pasta. Cut thin sheet into squares.
6) Whisk one egg as egg wash. Put egg wash at the edges of sheets. Place black bean mixture in the centre of one sheet and then lay another sheet directly over the filling and press down to seal the ravioli. Repeat the process to make more raviolis.
7) Boil water over medium heat. Salt and oil water and cook ravioli for a few minutes. Place ravioli on plate and sprinkle with cheese on top. Serve when ready.
To my surprise, this ravioli taste VERY DELICIOSO! The filling has a strong basil and garlic flavour. I also tasted the rough texture from the black beans. However, I found my sheets were a bit too thick. I also wish there are more black beans in the filling. Overall, I am happy with this dish because this was my first time I made ravioli and none of them broke.