I used to bike a lot when I was younger because this was what my family did every weekend.
As I got older, I biked less because I could not go up the hills in my neighbourhood with my little bike.
Since I did not like biking that much, my parents did not even bother to buy me a better bike.
…and that is why I have not biked for a VERY LONG TIME.
Having said that, the bike racks at my local transit station sparked my interest in biking again. Not only biking is great exercise, but it is a very affordable transportation method.
I am also wondering why people are obsessed with biking:
1) For the alone time and happiness – True! Biking is very personal unless you are riding a 2-seated bike with your friends. Biking is also a exercise, so biking helps in relieving stress and keeping focus.
2) Alternative to running – I totally agree! Biking is an alternative to running because you knees and ankles do not have to work so hard. As a result, biking is good for people who have minor knee or ankle problems. In addition, biking probably burns more calories than running, which is great if you are in a weight loss program. An average person could easily burn 700 calories in an hour just by riding at 15 to 20 km/h.
3) Convenience – I couldn’t agree more! You don’t need to drive anywhere to start exercising, and you can simply pedal from home. And, you could bike to work or to your local transit station if you do not have time to hit the gym. Biking won’t take much longer than driving and you’ll feel great when you get to work because you’ve exercised and avoided the stress of traffic.
4) Save the planet – This is totally for environmentally-friendly individuals! On average, twenty bicycles can be parked in the same space as one car. It also takes around ﬁve percent of the materials and energy used to make a car to build a bike, and a bike produces zero pollution. In addition, riding a bike do not create any pollutant.
5) Affordable – I am not quite sure about this because biking can be expensive depends on what you looking for. You can get a bike for a few hundreds of dollars if you are an amateur biker who mainly uses your bike for commuting or exercising. However, you could spend thousands of dollars if you are doing mountain biking or competing in 5k or 10k. It really depends on what you want to accomplish as a biker.
Do you love biking? You agree on my points above? Post your comments below! Till next time!